Thursday, September 9, 2010

For Guitar Players : 5 Of The Best Tips of All Time

Hi Tweeple!

Jeff Davis here, and you know I love to play guitar!

Here are the 5 greatest tips of all times made by famous people and
how they can apply to guitar playing. I've heard and read these tips
over the severals years and all of them have earned their weight in
gold :

1) "What You Think, You Become." -Ghandi

I came across this quote in the book entitled "Fearless Creating",
which is written by Eric Maisel . It emphasized the possibleness that
the things we try to make all begin in our ideas, and imagination. I
cast this quote on my wall, my notepad, my hand, everywhere for a
number of years to remind myself to keep my purpose present in my
mind, and it always assisted me to not give a whole lot of attention
to uninvited negative thoughts and my automatic ones, such as..SEX!

2) "There is Always a Way" -Vinnie Colaiuta

I've read this in an interview with Vinnie in a friend's magazine
some years back relating to drums. The entire gist of the article was
that when he was faced with a abstract problem, or when he was trying
to pick up something especially challenging, or new, he was of the
mind that there was "always a way" to get it, be it an adjustment of
posture, a new way of looking at the execution of it, a new way of
playing the blues guitar instrument, something to change to
accomplish what was previously believed to be "impossible". I always
try to use this when moving up the food chain, trying to get to the
succeeding level. It has resulted in some great results, if not
necessarily technical prowess, certainly something creative and unique.

3) "Poor Artists Borrow, Great Artists Steal" -Picasso or Stravinsky

I have overheard that it was either one of these extraordinary
artists who said this. Also a corrolary…"To be a really good
guitarist, you must copy the styles of other blues guitarists."-Frank
Gambale.

Well, first what can we steal? Chord progressions, tempo, groove,
melodic phrase, (backwards melody!) Expressive style, mental
attitude. What is the difference between that and "borrowing"? I
think the great artist turns his thievery into something entirely his
own, perhaps by unabashedly admitting the theft and developing it
into a whole new foundation. Think -The Beatles, Prince, Stevie Ray
Vaughan, Jimmie Page, Clapton, Ornette Coleman, Elvis. Whereas the
"borrower" is feigning to us that his original work has never before
been heard and they have a contrived quality. This can be a very fine
line.

Prior to ever reading the interview with Frank Gambale, saying that
imitating styles was a invaluable tool, I was intrusted to some
obscure concept of "being original". When I acquired the accuracy of
that affirmation, I set about to work, and it has changed my life. I
embraced the point of view that I was a student, and had a great deal
to learn from those who preceded me, that music and its history was
outside of myself, and was greater than I was. I am now a firm
believer that both of these aspects expand one's growth to an immense
degree. They give the player completely fresh languages to speak, and
once you speak new languages, you will be able to create your
personal great stories. Stories with depth and richness.

4) "The Impossible Can Be Accomplished Through Meditation and
Concentration" -The Cup and Saucer Guy

I recall being kind of trapped on a plateau with my blues guitar
playing at one point. I had achieved a good deal, but I didn't know
how to really move ahead. I was watching a variety tv show on
television one night. A man came on balancing one hundred cups and
saucers. He did this for what appeared to be a very long time and
then he allow them to all crash around him. As the audience applauded
his effort, the host asked him how he had learned to do this. His
answer was that through meditation, he was able to achieve the
necessary concentration. I began my own meditation methods, first
applying a easy technique of being still, which I had discovered in
the pieces of writing of people like J. Krishnamurti, and Tara Singh.
Nothing which requires years to master, but a simple way of
continuing to quiet the mind, increasing concentration, focus, and
listening, just being in a very calm and relaxed state, paying
attention. I now carry this stillness and relaxation to all my guitar
performances.

5) "The Three Month Rule" -Roger Mckinley

Roger Mckinley was a associate student at Berklee. Roger was also a
very gifted rock and blues guitarist, who, when I first came across
him, was imitating Pat Martino. Just 2 years later, had created his
own explosive unique style. ( see tip#3!) He left the jaws of many
around him agape (and he never seemed to be committing any effort
into it!) I was surprised that he befriended lil' ol' me and was
willing to jam with me. I understood and leanr so much from him on
just a single jam session. One of the things he told me is that it
takes a good 8 weeks to bring an element of originality into your
playing. This has saved me a good deal of frustration, and tempered
my natural impatience. I have come to a conclusion that no matter how
much I practise something, it is usually the better part of 8 weeks
before I actually can master it.

I hope you can use these practical and inspirational quotes to bring
your music and guitar playing to greater heights.

To jam the blues, just visit:
http://forexplatinumclub.com/likes/bluesjam

Talk soon,
Jeff Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment